These things are not necessarily what I follow, but I definitely try to.
- Everyone should have a reading habit. It takes you to a different world, a world where you can forget all your tensions and worries even for a little while. Reading is good for the soul.
You know the game where you have talk on a subject for one minute non-stop? I know I can. Even if I have never heard about the topic I can still talk on how I know something that is related to the topic. Reading gives you knowledge without teaching.
- Children should have good manners. I have seen children behaving like the brats they are, talking disrespectfully, screaming and shouting at their moms for no reason, creating a scene when they don’t get what they want. Misbehaving is not okay even if the child is very young. What children learn as kids generally have an impact in their later life. Do not give excuses for your child’s behavior.
- Everyone should have a hobby. It could be anything from reading, gardening, photography, writing. It’s okay if you don’t indulge in it often. It is an assurance that you have something to fall back on.
- Avoid being rude to people. It does not help you or anyone else either. I don’t always follow it, but I try to.
- Don’t care about what the world thinks of you. Nobody gives a damn if you are overweight or you bite your nails. It is all about what you think of yourself. I know easier said than done. But it’s the truth.
- Do not keep a grudge, it is like slow poison.
- Listen. You do not always have to follow what people say. But listening does no harm. You’ll never know what good may come out of it.
- ‘This too shall pass’. This, literally, is my mantra. I always have it handy and it works. Whenever you are sad, going through a difficult period, remember that it is just a temporary situation and tomorrow is a new day.
- Very few people in this world actually love what they do for living. If you don’t enjoy your work, enjoy the money or the perks or the independence that comes with it. Your family and friends are always there to keep you happy. Meanwhile keep your eyes and ears open for an opportunity to do something you like.
- You are NOT indispensable at work, how much ever you think you are. If you leave today, the people dependent on you will struggle for some time and then adjust. You friends and family cannot. So give them more priority. They are the ones who will miss you long after you are gone. (This was actually the conclusion of one of the forwards I got with a long story i it. I dont remember the story though)
- Pay attention to small things in life. The sunrise, the sunset, dewdrops, colors, textures, expressions. It will make your life much fuller and happier.
- Do not get frustrated and irritated over small things like missing a bus, breaking a shoe, stepping into a puddle. It will not be of much relevance the next day or even after a few minutes. (I, of all, needs to follow this more religiously)
- It is okay to wallow in self pity once in a while. We all have our moments. But don’t keep it up for a long time. It will turn you into a depressed, irritable and nagging individual.
- There is no such thing as bad color. Every color is good depending on whether it is adorned by your favorite flower or whether it is the color of your favorite tank top.
- Wearing things that jingle and tinkle in office is just not done. So no bangles, payals or ghungroos attached to dresses please. It might sound lovely to you but it might irritate some people.
- Smile more often. You get to see more smiles in return.
- Do not react when you are angry. You generally end up saying the wrong things.
- The more love you give, the more you get in return. I have realized that even more now.
- Words, once said, cannot be taken back. Use them carefully.
I really can go on and on, but I guess I’ll stop now. Do you feel like adding your two cents?